July 30, 2010

Got a Minute? Write a Short Story

Now for something a little different. I'll share an item I wrote based on a posting on the One Minute Writer site for Friday Fiction.

The challenge?  Write a short, short story in just one minute.  Yes, they actually have a timer. The topic for today?  Robots.  I accepted, and below is what I came up with in a minute. Think you can do it?  Give it a try and see how you do.  If you like to write, it's actually a lot of fun.  Remember, this was written in a minute, so I'm not claiming this as a good representation of my work.  It's just something fun to do if you have a spare minute in your day.
______________________________________________________

"Reset.  Yeah, well pushing reset doesn't work.  What else?"  Sarah tossed the instructions across the desk.  "What am I going to do with you?"  

The rusting robot simply sat in a heap on the bed.  Sarah pulled it onto the cart and rolled it outside to the alley.  At this time of night, no one should notice.  She propped the robot against a neighbor's fence and wiped her fingerprints, inside and out.  Once back inside she hesitated for a moment. 

"Nothing else to do I guess."  Sarah dialed the number then reached for a tissue.  "Hi, I'm calling to report a dumped A6G49.  Yes, I know it's illegal to own a model that old. Would I call and report it if it belonged to me?  Could you just come pick it up?" 

She hung up and stared out the window at the metallic figure in the shadows.  "Forgive me my friend."

No comments:

Post a Comment